Pimlico Chess Club is now based at the Community Centre in the Lillington Gardens Estate, known to us as Lalgra. The Community Centre is underneath Morgan House and is somewhat hidden away in the middle of the Estate. It is very close to Pimlico tube station. The directions below are probably the simplest route from the station for first time visitors.
In addition to the main hall playing area, which can seat up to 60 players in reasonable comfort, there is a second hall available for parents, analysis, casual chess, etc. There is also a self contained kitchen where coffee, tea and biscuits are available free of charge.
During the team league season we also host matches between other clubs who play in the London Public Service League or the Central London League. In total, on a typical Thursday evening there are almost 30 boards in play.
All boards have digital clocks, allowing all games to finish on the evening. All matches start promptly at 6.30pm, thereby ending shortly after 9.30pm, allowing plenty of time for convivial post match analysis in The Gallery or other public houses nearby.
Directions from Pimlico tube station:-
- Take the Rampayne Street exit from the left side of the station booking hall
- Walk down Rampayne Street to the junction with Vauxhall Bridge Road
- Turn left onto Vauxhall Bridge Road and walk towards Victoria
- After c200 yards you reach the Moo Cantina bar/restaurant at number 43.
- Immediately after the Moo Cantina walk down a short flight of steps onto the estate road.
- Continue towards Victoria along the estate road for c50 yards and you will reach an archway between Charlwood House and Henry Wise House.
- Turn left under the archway and the entrance to the Community Centre is c30 yards directly in front of you.
Total distance from the station is c400 yards.
The full address is Lillington and Longmoore Gardens Community Hall, Under Morgan House, 57 Vauxhall Bridge Road, SW1V 2LF
The venue is fully wheelchair accessible. In order to avoid the steps adjacent to the Moo Cantina, it is suggested that wheelchair users continue along Vauxhall Bridge Road to the junction with Charlwood Street, where there is access to the estate road. If a player has a disability which requires a dedicated table, the organisers must be advised in advance as a limited number of such cases can be accommodated on any particular week.
Note that we are in the middle of a residential area. Please moderate noise levels, particularly when leaving the venue or using the smoking area.
Absolutely no parking on the estate road.
No alcohol to be consumed on the premises.
All visitors and members are responsible for the security and safety of their personal belongings.